All faculty members in the Department of Computer Science at William Paterson University are involved in research projects and in scholarly activities such as book authoring. Qualified students may join a research team with professors, and most participants have published and presented papers at local, national, and international conferences. Many faculty members solicit student assistance and compensate students through their various grants and funds. Please see "Financial Supports" information below. For further information about faculty research, please go to the individual faculty page.
Given the enrichment of a strong faculty-student interaction and cooperation, students who demonstrate academic excellence can partake in these great ventures. The experience, knowledge and prestige gained lasts a lifetime. Whether on a résumé or graduate school application, this is a sign of distinction.
The Computer Science Research Center is located at SCIE 5031 (phone: x2502).
- Data Science Research - This Big Data Analytics research is led by Dr. Cyril S. Ku. It is an inter-disciplinary collaboration between the Department of Public Health (for behavioral research with Dr. Corey H. Basch and Dr. Aleksandar Kecojevic) and the Department of Computer Science (for data warehousing and data mining research). Project description is described in this poster presentation.
- DSP (Digital Signal Processing) Research - DSP research is led by Dr. Bogong Su, in collaboration with Dr. Erh-Wen Hu. Research activities in DSP have been progressing in the Computer Science Department since 1996. Please consult Dr. Su's research page for more information about this project. The latest research effort is highlighted in this poster presentation.
- Software Engineering Research - Dr. Cyril S. Ku has on-going research in various topics in software engineering with an international group of researchers. Currently the focus is on collaborative software engineering process. Please consult Dr. Ku's home page for more information about his research.
- Research Group Photo Gallery
Financial Supports for Faculty/Student Research:
After the completion of certain courses, some students based on a set of criteria are invited by faculty members to engage in their research activities either when classes are in session or in the summer or both. These students get financial support from one of the following sources:
- Research Grants - These are individual faculty research grants supported by external agencies such as NSF (National Science Foundation).
- CfR Awards - Many faculty members are awarded research funding in the summer from CfR (Center for Research) of the College of Science and Health. These awards can include student research assistants.
- Student Research/Worker Funds - These funds were established by the College of Science and Health to address the college goals of student/faculty research, curriculum enhancement, teaching excellence and active learning, assessment, and/or general departmental excellence. Several faculty members in our department used these funds to conduct research with students.